This time of the year getting ready for the holidays adds so much cheer to a home. It also can add some added safety hazards. Here is a list of things to think about and steps to take for your protection over the holidays this season.
- Lights – Leave lights on or put on timer.
- Deliveries – Request signature confirmation.
- Social Media – If you are going out of town, wait to post your favorite photos until you return home.
- Door – Make sure you figure out who is at the front door before you open it.
- Electrical decorations – Inspect for damage.
- Electric outlets – Do not overload.
- Incandescent Lights – Never connect more than three strings which may not only blow a fuse, but can also cause a fire.
- Cords – Protect cords from damage to avoid shock or fire.
- Trees – Keep trees fresh by watering daily. Dry trees are a serious fire hazard.
- Decorations – Check decorations for certification label. If they do not have a label from an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), they have not been tested for safety and could be hazardous.
- Decorations – Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house.
- Candles – Use battery-operated candles. Candles start almost half of home decoration fires (NFPA).
- Cooking – Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking. Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires (NFPA).
All of us at DiGiovanni Homes wish you and your family a Happy Holiday Season!
If you’re ready to own a new home in Clearwater, check out one of the DiGiovanni Homes available! Our new homes offer spacious, open floor plans in the form of single-family homes, condos or townhomes in Tampa Bay’s best communities. Visit Digiovannihomes.com today to learn more!